Sunday, April 11, 2010

Ay Friggin' Caramba!

Oh crap! I'm knitting a poncho that is done as a long rectangle and then seamed after bind-off and I just discovered, about 6 or 7-odd rows late, that I have 2 extra stitches. As a result of said extra stitches, one side of my rectangle slants off in a direction that makes the rows after the slant begins slightly longer. It ain't pretty. Being as this is only my third project and I've been knitting for only about 6 weeks, I can't for the life of me figure out where the stitches were added. I've ripped back about three rows while the work is still on the needles and it's taking me forever to do so. The idea of taking the piece OFF the needles and ripping back that way gives me the heebie-jeebies because I can see myself starting and not being able to stop until the whole dang thing is frogged. Not. What. I. Want. To. Do. This yarn is a nubby boucle yarn and it's not always easy to see when and where I screw up.

Now I'm usually able to fix my mistakes pretty easily with my handy little crochet hook, but this one's a doozy. Right now, I have three options:

a) Keep on ripping back on the needles, despite the painful tedium of the process and not knowing exactly where the phantom stitches came from.
b) Seek help from a higher authority (read: just about anybody at Needles in the Haymarket)
c) Frog it all. Find a cat. Throw him two skeins of soft boucle yarn to chase around. Make shawl or poncho out of something else, more closely resembling normal yarn.

I'm most inclined to choose option b because, despite the difficulty I'm having with it, I like how the soft boucle looks knitted up (when it's done right!). So, it's to the yarn shop I go, once I kick this cold. No pix with this post, but I hope you got a kick out of reading the comedy of my errors.

No comments:

Post a Comment